• Lab
  • AndroidForMobile Foundation at
    HOME
              
    LATEST STORY
    With its Facebook Watch news show, Alabama’s Reckon wants to make a national audience care about local news
    ABOUT                    SUBSCRIBE
    Sept. 16, 2015, 2:01 p.m.
    Business Models
    Mobile & Apps
    LINK:   |   Posted by: Laura Hazard Owen   |   September 16, 2015

    Quebec’s French-language newspaper is going totally digital on weekdays, the paper’s publisher Guy Crevier announced Wednesday: Starting on January 1, the Montreal-based pub will only offer a print edition on Saturdays. From Monday to Friday, readers will have to turn to the web or to La Presse+, the paper’s free (and successful) tablet app, for news. (La Presse does not publish a Sunday edition.)

    “La Presse will become the first daily newspaper in the world to be 100 percent digital during the week,” Crevier (translated). (Also, might beg to differ.)

    The move wasn’t unexpected. La Presse’s digital circulation : It had 453,957 weekly tablet readers as of April 2015, compared to print circulation of 105,000 on weekdays and 162,000 on Saturdays. Its website, , gets 2.4 million unique visitors a month, and gets 400,000 users a month.

    La Presse now gets 60 percent of its ad revenue from tablets, with another 10 percent coming from web and 30 percent from print. It is also licensing its tablet app platform, with its first customer The Toronto Star .

    Still, the move to digital-only weekdays holds the risk of losing some readers. As our Ken Doctor wrote in June:

    How many of La Presse’s daily 100,000-plus print readers will convert to the tablet edition when print starts to go away? One number that complicates such a transition: Today, there’s only 6 percent weekly overlap among those who read print and the tablet. Still, if print is removed from the market, some La Presse execs believe that as many as 30 percent of print readers will make the journey fairly immediately, even though there’s so little overlap now. How about the other 70 percent? It sounds like hubris at first hearing, but the company is willing to let them go to make the digital transition.

    To help transition those print readers over, La Presse .

    Cutting print days is a strategy some have long pushed for newspapers, since most papers make much more on their flagship weekend editions (the Sunday paper in the United States) than on lower-selling weekday editions. Advance Publications has cut home delivery days at most of its papers, and Gannett is .

    Show tags Show comments / Leave a comment
     
    Join the 45,000 who get the freshest future-of-journalism news in our daily email.
    With its Facebook Watch news show, Alabama’s Reckon wants to make a national audience care about local news
    More Facebook Watch news shows are on the way — but is the effort worth it for all local publishers?
    There’s a big difference between the number of people who worry about fake news and who say they’ve actually seen it
    Plus: Facebook looks to hire “news credibility specialists,” and Reuters tries to figure out if highly partisan sites are gaining traction in and outside the U.S. (it looks as if they’re not).
    After years of growth, the use of social media for news is falling across the world
    But messaging apps are picking up the slack, the Reuters Institute for the Study of Journalism finds in its 2018 Digital News Report.
    ac-sodan.info

    リンク

    トピックの詳細